Advertisement

Donate

Skrill

Stripe

BitPay

Photo

Jailbreak iphone 3g 4.2.1 with broken power button?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

lildimsum7

lildimsum7

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Is it possible to jailbreak the iphone 3g fw 4.2.1 with a broken power button? my phone got screwed up so i ended up restoring to stock 4.2.1, and now i can't jailbreak. i rely on unlock. i'd really appreciate some help.
thanks guys

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

Headspin

Headspin

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Is it possible to jailbreak the iphone 3g fw 4.2.1 with a broken power button? my phone got screwed up so i ended up restoring to stock 4.2.1, and now i can't jailbreak. i rely on unlock. i'd really appreciate some help.
thanks guys

I believe the only possible way would be to restore to a custom firmware and the only way to do that is to use redsn0w to boot into pwned dfu mode.. and to do that u need a powerbutton so I highly doubt it (Note I have had a version of redsn0w before that doesnt require dfu.. it only requires recovery mode, try searching for it).. If u can downgrade and use blackra1n or something which requires no buttons at all, then ur good or use jailbreakme.com then ur fine but as of late, everything seems to require a button..

The way I did it before (to my friend's phone), I cannot remember how.. but it went something like this:

I downgraded, jailbroke with something like jailbreakme or blackra1n (I used the trick where u hold home and plug in the device while holding it.. to get into recovery mode). upgraded to a pwnagetool version of 4.2.1 then the device was jailbroken with preserved baseband since it was pwnagetool.. then in order to install certain things, I needed a powerbutton and I decided to open cydia, download activator, chose a gesture for powerbutton simulation.. such as swipe = powerbutton.. that allowed me to reboot and do as I please.. finally installed ultrasn0w and gave him back the device..

That is the best idea I can possibly come up with.. Im tired right now but If i can think of something else when I wake up in the morning (if I remember this post) then I'll post here otherwise the above is ur only option..

P.S. I remember geohot and some team or something made a command line program that sends a signal to the device to go into dfu but I doubt it works now.. that was in the days of 3.0

Edited by Headspin, 06 April 2011 - 06:39 AM.

showstopper

showstopper

Donator

• +Contributor
  • 1098 posts
Have a look at you tube for videos on repairing/replacing the power button.

lildimsum7

lildimsum7

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I believe the only possible way would be to restore to a custom firmware and the only way to do that is to use redsn0w to boot into pwned dfu mode.. and to do that u need a powerbutton so I highly doubt it (Note I have had a version of redsn0w before that doesnt require dfu.. it only requires recovery mode, try searching for it).. If u can downgrade and use blackra1n or something which requires no buttons at all, then ur good or use jailbreakme.com then ur fine but as of late, everything seems to require a button..

thanks, i was able to downgrade to 4.0 and use jailbreakme to jailbreak, but since my baseband is 05.15.14 on ios 4.0, i guess i can't unlock? if possible, could someone help me out with this situation?
i've tried restoring to custom firmware 4.2.1 but i keep getting an error. btw, i was able to do that before and i was on 4.2.1 for a while, until my phone got stuck on that white spinning wheel from uninstalling celeste (i should have waited, but i got too impatient)

Headspin

Headspin

Donator

• +Contributor
  • 711 posts

thanks, i was able to downgrade to 4.0 and use jailbreakme to jailbreak, but since my baseband is 05.15.14 on ios 4.0, i guess i can't unlock? if possible, could someone help me out with this situation?
i've tried restoring to custom firmware 4.2.1 but i keep getting an error. btw, i was able to do that before and i was on 4.2.1 for a while, until my phone got stuck on that white spinning wheel from uninstalling celeste (i should have waited, but i got too impatient)

U have to downgrade, jailbreak first, then restore to 4.2.1 custom firmware.. make sure the cydia server IP is NOT in your hosts file or else you will not be able to restore to 4.2.1...

Glad the solution of downgrading worked... I didnt think it would but then i realized your a 3G so yeah quite lucky u dont need shsh blobs.
So restore to the 4.2.1 custom, you will then get some stupid error. I believe its 1015. U need to kick the device out of recovery using Tiny Umbrella. If anything, your itunes version my be too new preventing you from restoring to a firmware version lower than 4.3.1

As always for the unlock, since you are a 3G, you can always attempt to download Fuzzyband from cydia and see how it works for u.. if ur bootrom version is too high, then u cant downgrade the baseband. if its lower enough, then you can downgrade the baseband and unlock.

lildimsum7

lildimsum7

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thanks again, however my phone can't restore to custom 4.2.1 for some reason. whenever i try to restore to any custom firmware, it just stays at the graphic where it says to plug into iTunes, then i get the 1604 error. Is there any way i can get past this? i dont know if the jailbreakme is an issue for this or not.

EDIT: i didn't realize the cydia server ip was still in my hosts file, so i removed that, now i'll try again
EDIT 2: ok, my phone is f'n weird. i can't restore to any custom firmware

Edited by lildimsum7, 07 April 2011 - 06:13 PM.

lildimsum7

lildimsum7

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

thanks again, however my phone can't restore to custom 4.2.1 for some reason. whenever i try to restore to any custom firmware, it just stays at the graphic where it says to plug into iTunes, then i get the 1604 error. Is there any way i can get past this? i dont know if the jailbreakme is an issue for this or not.

EDIT: i didn't realize the cydia server ip was still in my hosts file, so i removed that, now i'll try again
EDIT 2: ok, my phone is f'n weird. i can't restore to any custom firmware

Could someone help me out? i don't understand why i can't restore to custom 4.2.1, especially since i've done it before

lildimsum7

lildimsum7

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
actually, i know the problem now. my BB is putting my iphone in a recovery loop, which i can only get out by going to dfu mode, so i guess i have no choice but to fix my power button

Azunyan

Azunyan

Ex xSellize Mod

• +Contributor
  • 1669 posts

actually, i know the problem now. my BB is putting my iphone in a recovery loop, which i can only get out by going to dfu mode, so i guess i have no choice but to fix my power button

Do this, use Tiny Umbrella. Make sure you have your SHSH on your PC/Mac.
Enter into Recovery via Tiny Umbrella.
Restore via iTunes using firmware want.
You might get 1013 or etc... errors.
If that happens then kick out of recovery. If that doesnt work then use Fix Recovery by the same creator of Tiny Umbrella.

Walla
Number12.jpg
fs.png

lildimsum7

lildimsum7

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Do this, use Tiny Umbrella. Make sure you have your SHSH on your PC/Mac.
Enter into Recovery via Tiny Umbrella.
Restore via iTunes using firmware want.
You might get 1013 or etc... errors.
If that happens then kick out of recovery. If that doesnt work then use Fix Recovery by the same creator of Tiny Umbrella.

Walla

Thanks for making me aware of Fix Recovery. Now i need to fix the power button

Zirkie

Zirkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Try to fix the button, or like they said downgrade it.

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->