Advertisement

Donate

Skrill

Stripe

BitPay

Photo

How to backup/restore WhatsApp Chat-History?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

daruler

daruler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi,

I upgraded today from iOS4.0 to iOS4.3.2 and want to start from scratch without using the iTunes backup.
Before upgrading I manually saved the "WhatsApp" Folder which contains:

Documents
Library
WhatsApp.app
iTunesArtwork
iTunesMetadata.plist

After reinstalling Whatsapp with itunes i also restored the above files (I've also tried "documents" and "library only) but whenever I launnch Whatsapp, it crashes after a couple of seconds. Without manual restore of the backuped files, Whatsapp works just fine. For the 3-4 sec before the crash I can see all my conversations with my contacts, only the contact images are missing.

Anyone with an idea what I do wrong?

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

daruler

daruler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
I figured out that I had to put permissions to "mobile [501]" and not "root"...now i just have blank contact images but can at least see the history...

*edit* Refreshing the Favorites in "Settings" resolved the blank contact pictures. Everything works as it should again :)

Edited by daruler, 22 April 2011 - 07:56 PM.

ihadi

ihadi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I figured out that I had to put permissions to "mobile [501]" and not "root"...now i just have blank contact images but can at least see the history...

*edit* Refreshing the Favorites in "Settings" resolved the blank contact pictures. Everything works as it should again :)

Hi , whats up man ;

I have the same problem , I flow your steps :
1- I install the whatsapp.
2- I copy the two folders "documents + Library".

My problem is I dont know how can I put the permissions to "mobile [501]"

can you help me with this please
put any image for your solution .

thanks again

daruler

daruler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Hi , whats up man ;

I have the same problem , I flow your steps :
1- I install the whatsapp.
2- I copy the two folders "documents + Library".

My problem is I dont know how can I put the permissions to "mobile [501]"

can you help me with this please
put any image for your solution .

thanks again

It's really easy. SSH to your iPhone with "WinSCP", replace the files and right-click the folders, choosing these settings:

Posted Image

Good Luck!

Edited by daruler, 08 May 2011 - 09:23 PM.

hakkerz

hakkerz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I actually have just registered, so that I can tell you, you are a LEGEND! Mate, I have been trying to figure out why it would crash for the past few hours. Thought I had tried everything! Such a simple thing, I didn't think it could possibly be that. I was about to re-write the whole database using the original file on the phone! lool. I have nearly 2 years worth of convos I thought i'd lost!!

Cheers.Posted Image

daruler

daruler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Glad, it's working for you! :thumbsup:

Cheers, mate!

Edited by daruler, 04 September 2011 - 12:17 AM.

absolutskyy

absolutskyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
i really need you help.
My whatsapp stopped working after an update and i deleted and reinstalled it, in the bargain i lost my 2 years of messages. I have backed up my data to itunes but have absolutely no idea how to restore all the data back using WINSCP or other such techniques.

Could you PLEASE guide me as to how I can do it....

thanks a ton..

cheers!

It's really easy. SSH to your iPhone with "WinSCP", replace the files and right-click the folders, choosing these settings:

Posted Image

Good Luck!

absolutskyy

absolutskyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
i really need you help.
My whatsapp stopped working after an update and i deleted and reinstalled it, in the bargain i lost my 2 years of messages. I have backed up my data to itunes but have absolutely no idea how to restore all the data back using WINSCP or other such techniques.

thanks a ton..

cheers!

Posted Image

Good Luck!

absolutskyy

absolutskyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
i really need you help.

thanks a ton..

cheers!

Posted Image

Good Luck!

absolutskyy

absolutskyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
i really need you help.

thanks a ton..

cheers!

Posted Image

Good Luck!

absolutskyy

absolutskyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
i really need you help.

thanks a ton..

cheers!

Posted Image

Good Luck!

sharmanhall

sharmanhall

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
The best way to backup an application, is to use "AppBackup" from cydia
(So you have this info for future use)

daruler

daruler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
@absolutskyy

In fact it's just a tut how to manually backup FIRST and then restore the WA files. If you deleted the app, then the history is gone.

But try this:

1) Get familiar with Jailbreak/WinSCP, there are a lot tutorials about it. Watch YouTube Vids how to use Winscp
2) Restore in iTunes from an older Backup, if you're lucky the Chat History is back. For me it was not the case.
3) With the tool "AppList" from Cydia find the WhatsApp directory on the iPhone. Change the permissions like you see in the screenshot.

solomonwarren

solomonwarren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Go to WhatsApp > [Menu Button] > Settings > More > Chat History backup Transfer your microSD card to your phone. Install WhatsApp on your phone. Click Yes when prompted to restore your message history.

Edited by solomonwarren, 30 August 2013 - 08:02 AM.

Oringae

Oringae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Go to WhatsApp > [Menu Button] > Settings > More > Chat History backup Transfer your microSD card to your phone. Install WhatsApp on your phone. Click Yes when prompted to restore your message history.

Simply restore previous backup with iCloud.

Edited by Oringae, 13 January 2014 - 11:57 AM.

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->