Advertisement

--

Donate

Skrill

Stripe

BitPay

Photo

A Detailed video breakdown of ios multitasking shows you dont need to kill your Apps.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

PigPox

PigPox

CRAzY Pig

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7068 posts

Posted Image

A few days ago, iPad education proponent Frasier Speirs had an interesting post on his blog which corrected several misconceptions about iOS multitasking. The post explained thoroughly why killing all of the applications running in your iOS device’s multitasking tray is a fool’s errand.

Simply put, it is largely unnecessary to manually close all of the running apps in your tray in order to regain ‘lost’ memory, conserve battery live or make other apps run better. There are some basic exceptions, like crashed apps or heavy GPS users, but in general, it’s useless.

Speirs got a lot of responses to the post, many with detailed questions and inquiries about his opinions. Instead of answering them individually, he used the Instruments package provided by Apple to monitor the memory usage on the iPad as he ran and closed apps.

The results show pretty conclusively that closing apps, outside of troubleshooting a problem, is unproductive.

Speirs explains the experiment:

There are five sections to this video demonstrating:

An app going from active to background to suspended
Instacast HD requesting extra background time to finish a podcast download
TomTom running indefinitely in the background
Batman Arkham City Lockdown and Real Racing 2 HD competing for big chunks of device memory
Batman Arkham City Lockdown forcing several smaller apps out of memory

The iPad in this video is an original iPad running iOS 5.0.1. All the apps used are the current versions at the time of posting this video.

http://vimeo.com/fraserspeirs/iosmt

We’ve heard a lot of misinformation lately about how multitasking works. A lot of bad advice has been given about killing all of your apps being mandatory for good performance and much of it has come directly from the mouths of Apple Store employees.

This video shows that most of that talk is flat out wrong. If there is a problem with a specific app, it’s frozen or refuses to quit when it should, then killing it by holding down until it ‘wiggles’, then tapping the ‘-’ button can be a good troubleshooting option. But it is definitely not necessary for day-to-day operation of your device.

via The Next Web

Posted Image

You Tried it from xRepo? You Like it? then Buy it!! That's our Purpose as xSeLLiZe.

Leechers are not welcome Here. i Will Put my Foot Down weather you like it or not.

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

--

DanV2

DanV2

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Very informative article/video, but didn't we already know multitasking worked this way?

who

who

iPhwner Extraordinaire

• +Contributor
  • 1961 posts

Very informative article/video, but didn't we already know multitasking worked this way?

Some people who are still reliant on Backgrounder don't necessarily think the same. They think that they need complete control to get proper and/or desired effects. :/

xxhorseriderxxx

xxhorseriderxxx

Cowboy with a Lemon Twist

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
so if this is true, explain to me why a friend's iPod that's never shut off gets laggy from not closing apps, and my cleaned iPod remains much speedier (both 4th gen)

Betabot

Betabot

Pwned

• Members
  • 954 posts
My thinking about this topic was always that the apps in the background don't use the full amount of memory compared to when they would when open. But they still use some memory to contain the data required to be able to switched to quickly if wanted. So if you had enough background processes (apps) it would slow down your device.

otosan

otosan

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
This not only about memory usage, i simply hate when my switcher bar full of no longer used app... =b, so, use multicleaner and i kill directly every app that i won't open again when i minimize it...

That's the way multitasking should designed, give user freedom whether to minimize or quit.

asl3312

asl3312

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
How is this the case, i have the free memory showing in the status bar (via sbsettings) and the more apps in the switcher then the lower the free memory is.
Clear all the apps and it goes up.

PurpleHaze420

PurpleHaze420

Pwned

• +Contributor
  • 650 posts
Good little video, imformative for people. :)

ALL

ALL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I read a long text but dont see any video show me that point of view.

"When you press the home button, the app moves from Active to Background. Most apps usually then go from Background to Suspended in a matter of seconds" Posted Image True Story Bro!

Its only me that have more than 200Mb free of Ram without any app open and with many app in backgroud even after wait 10min still have something like 10 or even 20Mb of Ram free?

If someone tells you that all the apps in the multitasking bar are running, using up memory or sucking power, they are wrong.

So SBSetting and all the other JB app that give you the free ram are wrong?

When you hit the home button, an app moves from Active to Background and quickly to the Suspended state where it no longer uses CPU time or drains power

The problem is not the use of CPU or power but the fact that less free ram really make you phone slow and sometimes crach apps!

An app may request an additional 10 minutes of Background running to complete a big task before becoming Suspended.

Like I said, that dont happen in all app, or a video showing it, will be nice, other way is just a person talking...

Edited by ALL, 08 January 2012 - 12:14 PM.

tearan

tearan

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Did people really think that ****load of apps in switcher bar was full of running apps? I guess screenshot in /application.app/caches/snapshots/.../blahblah.png did a really good job.

Dazza1

Dazza1

• +Contributor
  • 1041 posts
The multitask bar for me is too much clutter I like what ever one I quit to kill it not to show in multitask bar and as he said some apps are better behaved than others so to say that shead loads of apps In the multitask bar can't affect your device is wrong and I don't want to see apps I loaded five days ago in the multitasking bar it's not needed. And what is the obsession with the North Korea app. Come on A5 jailbreak Free Me!!!

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->