6 replies to this topic

CrankySnorlax

CrankySnorlax

Bodyslam!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted Image

The iPad 3 rumors just keep growing and getting juicier. A photo has surfaced on the WeiPhone forums showing a potential prototype for an iPad 3 logic board. What's special? The A5X chip that is shown, not the expected A6. The production date according to code "1146" means the chip was produced sometime in November 2011. The A5X chip model number is "S5L8945X," which matches an iPad 3 iBoot log that was released by BGR a couple weeks back

This is not too far fetched to believe. The iPad 3 could indeed have an A5X chip after all, which would be a dual core processor with an updated clock speed and an updated graphics card as well. However, this does not mean the A6 is still out of the game. The A6 could still be under production and testing and released in a later gen model of the iPad or the iPhone 5.

Of course, this is all rumor and nothing will be known until Apple's announcement in March comes around and validates what we want to know.

via iMore

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

Memzee

Memzee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
If this is true I wonder what it will mean for jailbreaking. Still got my iPad 1 and intending to skip #2 to iPad 3, but I don't think I'd want to wait a year for a jailbreak to be released.

JusticeFreedom

JusticeFreedom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh man, I hope this A5X is just code for an A6 processor in the testing phase... I'm hoping to pick up one of those iPad 3's when they roll out and if it doesn't have a quad core chip that at least doubles the power of the A5, then I am going to be quite disappointed in Apple...

kanko

kanko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Lmfoa got a ipad 2 and wont get a damn ipad 3 waste of money and i dont care about quad core processor:)

btw ipad sucks

Deibs

Deibs

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
This seems about right for apple.. why release Retina and a Quad core now. Save one for the next iPad and those suckers will still drop money like crazy!

CrankySnorlax

CrankySnorlax

Bodyslam!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
That is exactly what I believe. First, the battery drain releasing both in one device will be so bad, I think people would be disappointed in the loss of battery life if they decided to upgrade their iPads. Secondly, most quad-core tablets with the Android OS today do not use all four cores. Most of them use one and with certain apps two. According to a computer tech I am in touch with, it is difficult to stress four cores on a tablet. Given that, why release a quad-core tablet now if the money put into building it will be useless? Retina display on the iPad 3 to me is of more importance then the Quad-Core processor. I believe the first time we will see the A6 on a product is the iPad 4 (iPhone 5 seems unlikely as well).

firstpirate

firstpirate

Lazy PiRaTe

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
no ipad 3 for me either as i dont see the point in an expensive upgrade.
Im still on ipad 1 and it serves me well.

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->