95 replies to this topic

CrankySnorlax

CrankySnorlax

Bodyslam!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted Image

After the pleading of many individuals down in the states, AT&T has agreed to being unlocking iPhones! In order to do so, you must qualify with the following conditions set by AT&T:

A customer’s account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee.

Essentially, if the iPhone is free of contract and you have kept your account free of issues, then your phone is eligible to receive a free unlock from AT&T. The process is as follows according to one iPhone user who has unlocked his phone through AT&T:

Today, 4/8/12, I called AT&T to unlock my contract free 3GS. Took 30 minutes on T’s end to get the unlock code, and only 5 minutes to perform a backup and restore via iTunes. Interestingly enough, the phone number shows as NA in the iTunes screen. Same IMEI and ICCID if you click on the same spot.

This means that AT&T submits the IMEI of your phone to Apple's database where Apple will authorize and unlock your phone the next time you connect it to iTunes.

Who plans on trying this or who has already done it?

via iMore

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

surfingboy111793

surfingboy111793

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
FIRSt. and awesome. wonder how they will respond if your not the original buyer.

iDEVICE: IPHONE 4 4.2.1 AT&T...Jailbroken

Romeo26222

Romeo26222

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
WOW, it was very easy, in about 10 minutes via web chat they told me that my iPhone 4 is eligible to unlock and he told me they issued a file and sent it to apple and they will contact me by mail to give me unlock code! and instructions..
that's really COOL

Edited by Romeo26222, 08 April 2012 - 10:13 PM.

eyepoper

eyepoper

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Is there anyway for me that is not living in the US to do that? Case if the writer of this article just unlocked its 3Gs that has no account means that I can do it also with mine iP4 ??

bstunt10190

bstunt10190

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Is there anyway for me that is not living in the US to do that? Case if the writer of this article just unlocked its 3Gs that has no account means that I can do it also with mine iP4 ??

I think you need to re-read the article.....................all of your questions are answered there.

ereptor

ereptor

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Great news ! It was about time. In Europe we could do that since 3 years ago. But this is gonna make ATT sales go up, because we all know that the US has the better prices
:)

vinaygoel2000

vinaygoel2000

xSellize Fan

• +Contributor
  • 2852 posts
I got my iPhone 4 and my 4S unlocked. When the rep was done submitting my imei to apple server and got confirmation, I asked her if she can unlock another one. I gave her the imei of my 4S and she got confirmation on that as well. Of course I have not restored my 4S to check. I restored my 4 using signed ipsw via ifaith and iTunes said my iPhone 4 was unlocked. I even have a video of that recorded from my 4S.

Sweeeeeeeeeettttt.

CrankySnorlax

CrankySnorlax

Bodyslam!

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
chpwn is saying that the max phones you could unlock under one account is 5... could someone confirm?

vinaygoel2000

vinaygoel2000

xSellize Fan

• +Contributor
  • 2852 posts

chpwn is saying that the max phones you could unlock under one account is 5... could someone confirm?

That is what I was also told by AT&T Technical Support Rep.

DAZZA7111

DAZZA7111

Whats an iPhone

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
We have been doing this ages in UK exept dont have to wait till contract finishes on o2 or Three,
also just need to put a different network sim in then connect to iTunes no need to restore.

plainzwalker

plainzwalker

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Well I called AT&T international since I am currently stationed overseas and cant call toll free numbers, the guy took down my IMIE numbers and had to create 2 cases for the phone. He said I should hear back via email with in a week. So hopefully this works.

Romeo26222

Romeo26222

• +Contributor
  • 664 posts

I am not in US and don't have any AT&T account, I used their online chat service to do the unlock..

plainzwalker

plainzwalker

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I am not in US and don't have any AT&T account, I used their online chat service to do the unlock..

What link did you use for the chat? Only ones I found require being logged in and I can't reset my password since I can't recieve txts while out of the states.

Romeo26222

Romeo26222

• +Contributor
  • 664 posts

What link did you use for the chat? Only ones I found require being logged in and I can't reset my password since I can't recieve txts while out of the states.

Here
http://www.att.com/esupport/
on the bottom right there is a link called
Chat with an AT&T Live Agent
then

Posted Image

Posted Image

then it will ask about your name and what Mobile you have...
Good luck unlocking :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo26222, 09 April 2012 - 09:45 AM.

Romeo26222

Romeo26222

• +Contributor
  • 664 posts
That's how smooth it went with their chat representative

Posted Image

plainzwalker

plainzwalker

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah... they apparently either changed something or has different options when they don't have live service. If I follow your guide it only has options for a Go Phone, if you select no it wants you to log in.

Romeo26222

Romeo26222

• +Contributor
  • 664 posts

Yeah... they apparently either changed something or has different options when they don't have live service. If I follow your guide it only has options for a Go Phone, if you select no it wants you to log in.

that happens to me too, keep trying on another time, because it says there is no live agent available to chat right now..

p1mpdog

p1mpdog

Donator

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I have just tried via chat but no ATT person is available right now..... so ill have to try to unlock my iphone 4 before i go to work or after i get back i guess. Glad I haven't sold it yet

Carnage

Carnage

Advanced Member

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I call support for my 3g. They said that they would unlock it in the next 24-48 hours. It's not tied to any plan nor did I have to give them my imei number on the phone. I just asked if they still had my 3g on file and if it could be unlocked. They said "YES" .... amazing. I asked when they started unlocking phones and ATT said today!

Thanks xsellize and CrankySnorlax for being on the ball!!

willryan42

willryan42

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Hey Romeo

So you're saying you we're able to get an unlock even though you don't have an AT&T account? I bought my iphone on ebay and use it on T-Mobile (so obviously I don't have an AT&T account either). Could I get an unlock too if I just told them basically the same story you did? (I don't live in the US, but bought the phone when I was traveling, or something similar)

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->