• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

McAndrew

McAndrew

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
what i am trying to figure out is what will happen to your device if you click this.

i have a jailbroken ipod touch 2 g 3.1.2 and i was wondering if this would erase the jailbreak as well.

x-bot

x-bot

x-bot

• Ad-Bot
  • Ad post

--

KraKsX

KraKsX

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
nothing
dont worry

Aber1Kanobee

Aber1Kanobee

SE PDX

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

nothing
dont worry

So NOT true, actually, believe it or not, something does happen. Here is a basic explanation of the "reset" function/commands and what they do if pressed. In the limited research I've done and including my personal experience, some problems can and do result from utilizing this function with a Jbroken phone. Although, I have been fine using this in the past, it seems to be a "crap shoot" with the odds in your favor that nothing bad will happen, but the re is a risk that your phone will/can go into a constant loop, freeze up and or have to be restored. As a general rule, I would only execute if absolutely necessary. A quick Google search will validate some of the unlucky user experiences...Although, its hard to tell what experience level and relative stability of their individual Jbreaks...

Reset all settings:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.
All your preferences and settings are reset. Information, such as your contacts and calendars, and media, such as your songs and videos, aren’t deleted.

Erase all content and settings:

Connect iPhone to your computer or a power adapter. Choose General > Reset and tap “Erase All Content and Settings.”
This resets all settings to their defaults and erases all your information and media:

• On iPhone 3GS: by removing the encryption key to the data (which is encrypted using 256-bit AES encryption)
  • On iPhone and iPhone 3G: by overwriting the data
IMPORTANT: You can’t use iPhone while data is being overwritten. This can take up to two hours or more, depending on the model and storage capacity of your iPhone. (On iPhone 3GS, the removal of the encryption key is immediate.)

Reset network settings:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings.

When you reset network settings, your list of previously used networks and VPN settings not installed by a configuration profile are removed. Wi-Fi is turned off and then back on, disconnecting you from any network you’re on. The Wi-Fi and “Ask to Join Networks” settings are left turned on.

To remove VPN settings installed by a configuration profile, choose Settings > General > Profile, then select the profile and tap Remove.

Reset the keyboard dictionary:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
You add words to the keyboard dictionary by rejecting words iPhone suggests as you type. Tap a word to reject the correction and add the word to the keyboard dictionary. Resetting the keyboard dictionary erases all words you’ve added.

Reset the Home screen layout:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset Home Screen Layout.
Resets the home screen layout.

Reset the location warnings:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset Location Warnings.
Location warnings are the requests made by applications (such as Camera, Compass, and Maps) to use Location Services with those applications. iPhone stops presenting the warning for an application the second time you tap OK. Tap Reset Location Warnings to resume the warnings.

Edited by Aber1Kanobee, 04 March 2010 - 08:34 AM.

McAndrew

McAndrew

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

So NOT true, actually, believe it or not, something does happen. Here is a basic explanation of the "reset" function/commands and what they do if pressed. In the limited research I've done and including my personal experience, some problems can and do result from utilizing this function with a Jbroken phone. Although, I have been fine using this in the past, it seems to be a "crap shoot" with the odds in your favor that nothing bad will happen, but the re is a risk that your phone will/can go into a constant loop, freeze up and or have to be restored. As a general rule, I would only execute if absolutely necessary. A quick Google search will validate some of the unlucky user experiences...Although, its hard to tell what experience level and relative stability of their individual Jbreaks...

Reset all settings:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.
All your preferences and settings are reset. Information, such as your contacts and calendars, and media, such as your songs and videos, aren’t deleted.

Erase all content and settings:

Connect iPhone to your computer or a power adapter. Choose General > Reset and tap “Erase All Content and Settings.”
This resets all settings to their defaults and erases all your information and media:

• On iPhone 3GS: by removing the encryption key to the data (which is encrypted using 256-bit AES encryption)
  • On iPhone and iPhone 3G: by overwriting the data
IMPORTANT: You can’t use iPhone while data is being overwritten. This can take up to two hours or more, depending on the model and storage capacity of your iPhone. (On iPhone 3GS, the removal of the encryption key is immediate.)

Reset network settings:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings.

When you reset network settings, your list of previously used networks and VPN settings not installed by a configuration profile are removed. Wi-Fi is turned off and then back on, disconnecting you from any network you’re on. The Wi-Fi and “Ask to Join Networks” settings are left turned on.

To remove VPN settings installed by a configuration profile, choose Settings > General > Profile, then select the profile and tap Remove.

Reset the keyboard dictionary:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
You add words to the keyboard dictionary by rejecting words iPhone suggests as you type. Tap a word to reject the correction and add the word to the keyboard dictionary. Resetting the keyboard dictionary erases all words you’ve added.

Reset the Home screen layout:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset Home Screen Layout.
Resets the home screen layout.

Reset the location warnings:

Choose General > Reset and tap Reset Location Warnings.
Location warnings are the requests made by applications (such as Camera, Compass, and Maps) to use Location Services with those applications. iPhone stops presenting the warning for an application the second time you tap OK. Tap Reset Location Warnings to resume the warnings.

ok so what you are saying is the if i hit the Reset All Setteings button, there might be a chance that my ipod touch goes into many loops and freezes?

also just clarification, none of the jailbreak stuff and apps from appstore will be lost?

Aber1Kanobee

Aber1Kanobee

SE PDX

• +Contributor
  • 1371 posts

ok so what you are saying is the if i hit the Reset All Setteings button, there might be a chance that my ipod touch goes into many loops and freezes?

Yes, but if your phone is well configured..ie a clean set up, you should be fine, but there is a risk...

also just clarification, none of the jailbreak stuff and apps from appstore will be lost?

Correct, NO data will be lost associated with media. Including your apps, but if they're ipa's they will also be backed up in iTunes anyway... so either way you should be good.

McAndrew

McAndrew

Jailbroken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
ok i tested it out and everything was fine. thanks again

KraKsX

KraKsX

• +Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
I told you nothing happens....
Its a fix for lots of things! JB or not.

Aber1Kanobee

Aber1Kanobee

SE PDX

• +Contributor
  • 1371 posts

I told you nothing happens....
Its a fix for lots of things! JB or not.

Bro, Its not that I dont get what your sayin', its just your answer of "nothing happens" isnt very descriptive. Sometimes, especially when your new to Jbreak community, its nice to have some additional details/ facts to base your decisions on...

alloucho

alloucho

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
The original calculator app on my iTouch was lost. I deleted the app via ssh and wanted to replace it by a modded one. After that it wouldn't open anymore. Is there a chance with this 'settings reset' to bring it back?

pnut78

pnut78

Whats an iPhone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm a bit confused. What about the unlock?
My situation is this:
-my friend (who is on T-Mobile)found a 3GS, unfortunately it is 3.1.3 with the latest baseband.
-I am on ATT and have a 3G that is still 3.1.2 and is jailbroken. I did the unlock using blacksn0w from the blackra1n repo in Cydia.
-He is giving me the 3GS if he can have the 3G. I want to clean it up before giving it to him. Can I just do the General ->Reset-> Erase All Content and Settings and still retain the jailbreak AND the unlock? Also, does it HAVE to be connected to a power source if it is fully charged?

Also, if I backup the 3G in iTunes, can I just plug in the 3GS and restore from backup? I understand that I won't be able to get the cracked apps transferred to the 3GS, but as far as all the other content, what will I lose (if its even possible)?

Much appreciation if I can get some help soon. Thanks!

IPB skins by Skinbox
-->